Best Copper Spray Paint – Our Copper Spray Paint Comparison
This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you.
Copper spray paint is used to paint pretty much anything. However, this does not mean that all copper paints are the same or equal. Some copper paints work well than others. This makes the process of picking the right one a little bit complicated. Picking the right one will make a lot of difference on your finished product. When using copper spray paints, you should expect a coppery, metallic paint finish. You can also use copper spray paints in DIY projects on cars, furniture, and so on.
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Copper Spray Paints
- 2 Copper Spray Paint Comparison
- 3 Choosing the Right Copper Spray Paint
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
Types of Copper Spray Paints
You need to do a lot of research and gain some experience to be able to select the best and top-rated copper spray paint. The availability of a variety of copper spray paints complicates the selection process even more. This is because the wrong product can disappoint you and your expectations. Copper spray paint has the ability to turn any item in your house from looking dull to being decorative and trendy. Before you decide to use a whole can of copper on any of your objects, you should at least test the spray paint on a variety of surfaces. Continue reading in our other articles about gold spray paint or chrome spray paint if you are also interested in these topics.
The best copper spray paints are found in most craft stores, most rated on Amazon, and so on. The best copper spray paint should be able to offer the right tone, color and an amazing finish to your projects. It should enable you to get the best value for your money. As they say, the best should not disappoint.
Copper Spray Paint Comparison
The following is a list of copper spray paints from the top-rated to the least rated. These are the most popular copper spray paints and they are found in most craft stores. The top-rated is the first one on the list:
- RUST-OLEUM Specialty Metallic Copper Spray Paint
- KRYLON General Purpose Brilliant Spray Paint Metallic Copper
- KRYLON Fusion All-in-One Copper Spray Paint
Best Overall: RUST-OLEUM Specialty Metallic Copper Spray Paint
This is the best copper spray paint that is out there. It is the most metallic, has the most genuine copper color and has the ability to cover objects and surfaces very well. This paint can be used on masonry, plaster, wood, metal, and so on. It is so shiny because it is made of real metal leafing flakes. This copper metallic spray paint is suitable for indoors only. The Rust-Oleum brand has a lot of different copper paints, but the ‘specialty metallic’ is compared to none.
- Creates a rich metallic shine on interior surfaces including wood, metal, plaster and more
- Formula contains actual metal flakes to create an ultra-bright and shiny metal look
- Covers up to 12 sq ft, dries to touch in 15 minutes and recoat within an hour
This spray paint is durable and suitable for a variety of surfaces. It gives a bright copper finish that is amazingly reflective; even if you are a novice you will be able to bring your DIY project to life. There are also a few color choices available on Amazon, so you have a lot of options to choose from. It is super resistant to fading, weather, abrasion and corrosion. It adds a vibrant finish to your surfaces and it has a natural look like real copper. The brand is one of the best and most trustworthy brands compared to other brands on the market. However, this brand is not suitable for the objects that you use most of the time. These details are not really included on Amazon and a lot of customers complain about this missing information. So you have to keep it in mind when you opt to purchase this specific bottle.
- It dries in 15 minutes
- Has a reflective finish
- Suitable for leafing
- Gives a metallic finish that is very shiny
- Suitable for most home décor tasks
- It can only cover an area of 12sq. ft.
- Problem of running if you spray too much
Tips to consider when using Rust-Oleum Spray Paints
Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic Spray has the ability to provide a luxurious, rich look and finish to your furniture. Accent pieces benefit a lot from Rust-Oleum because of the amazing finish it offers. It is considered the best because it contains metal leafing flakes. If you use it in any room in your house, then the look will go from drab to fab.
- Before you spray the copper paint, always ensure that you clean and remove dust from the projects. When it comes to copper spray paints, fingerprints and grime can be your worst enemies. The dust has the worst effect on your furniture.
- You should work in a well-ventilated area. Spray paints are well known for emitting fumes that can be harmful to health. If you really want to do your painting with no worries, you can opt to spray paint outdoors.
- Shake the can very well before using the spray paint. You can do this for at least a minute since this is very important. Proper shaking enables the contents of the mixture to mix very well. It is also a good idea to shake the can in-between sprays.
- You should hold the can at least 30cm away from the surfaces you will be working on. Spraying within a distance of 30cm can risk the chances of over spraying or runs.
- Apply a light and even coat of paint, leave it to dry before applying the second one. It is advisable to leave the first coat to dry first before applying another one. This will prevent the risk of spoiling your finished projects. For the best results, have a little patience and allow your projects to dry first before applying more coats.
- Always wear appropriate and protective clothing. Spray painting emits a lot of fumes that are not good for the respiratory system. Wear a protective mask and protective clothing when copper spray painting. It is better to be safe than sorry.
- It comes in a highly flammable pressurized container. The pressurized container helps in making the spraying process much easier to handle. You can do the whole process a lot easier and quicker too.
- Always tightly close and store your containers in a well-ventilated area. This is because too much heat can cause the container to rupture. It is best to consult the local regulations to be on the safe side.
Best Budget: KRYLON GENERAL PURPOSE Brilliant Spray Paint Metallic Copper
This is a great choice if you want to create an incredible shiny finish. It is suitable for those items that you really want to pop out, for example, picture frames. It has the ability to add metallic spray paint colors into your home. This premium paint will give you an authentic copper appearance rather than just a normal coat of paint. If you want to bring out the best in your home décor, Krylon Metallic Brilliance Spray Paint is the best option for you.
- Fast-drying spray paint that has a durable finish, metallic copper
- One 12-ounce can per package, Indoor use only
- For use on wood, wicker, plaster, paper, metal, glass, ceramic, and plastic surfaces
It is suitable for a variety of surfaces. You can use it on glass, ceramic, paper, plastic, choice-metal, wood and so on. Your end product will look like it’s been plated, instead of just having a normal painting appearance. You can touch your surfaces within 10 minutes after applying and your objects will be ready for use within two hours. It has the ability to leave a glossy, smooth finish that is compared to none. If you are painting an object that needs instant drying so that you can perform other tasks on it, then this Krylon is the perfect choice for you. It is one of the best spray paints on the market that dries quickly. Krylon has a beautiful color and is very easy to use, making it the best product for most customers. It will not stick if it is used on outdoor items and surfaces. Thus, it is suitable for indoor use. It is also budget-friendly, which means it will not be too heavy on your wallet.
- It dries very fast
- Can be used on a variety of indoor projects
- Suitable for many surfaces
- Variety of color options
- Has a beautiful metallic finish
- It requires a lot of practice to have the ideal finish.
- Other customers were disappointed by the color, it did not come out as vivid as they expected.
- To get the best results, you have to use a primer first.
- Limited to indoor operations
Best High End: KRYLON FUSION All-in-One-Spray Paint-Copper
It is another one of Krylon`s favorite because it is an all-in-one spray. It is suitable for a variety of surfaces because it gives a primer and paint combination in one bottle. It is highly durable and sticks very well to a lot of surfaces. It also comes with a spray tip that will make it easier for you to apply it. This tip prevents over-spraying, leaving an even and smooth coat on your surfaces. It creates a rose-gold finish that is loved by most customers. If your focus is on indoor decorating and not looking for a spray paint that is resistant to weather, then Krylon General Purpose Spray is your best choice.
- Indoor and Outdoor use, offers maximum rust protection
- Bonds to difficult surfaces without sanding or priming, including plastic, wood, metal, PVC, tile, etc.
- Dry to the touch in 20 minutes or less with no runs, no drips, no errors
It leaves a metallic finish that is rose-gold on your furniture and other household items. It is very durable and suitable for most surfaces. However, you have to shake the bottle very well before use, to get the best results. The paint dries very quickly, making it the best option for DIY projects. This all-in-one product provides durability, protection from rust, quality and class all in one bottle. It has all that it takes to make your project super adorable. The All-in-one feature means that the spray does not require any preparations before use. The presence of primer in the product enables you to paint on any item or surface very easily. It is top-rated for offering the best and complete rust protection. The paint is very fragile and sometimes it requires a lot of time to paint the whole object.
However, at times you might find out that it is a bit tough to use this all-in-one spray. This is because it comes with a powerful spray pressure. This often makes it difficult for most individuals to remain accurate.
- It is super durable
- Suitable for indoor & Outdoor
- Does not require sanding or priming
- It contains primer in color
- Provide complete protection from rust
- It takes at least 25 minutes to dry properly
- It is usually darker and a bit less shiny
- The paint does not appear metallic
- Can be difficult to use due to the high spray pressure
Choosing the Right Copper Spray Paint
The process of choosing the right spray paint should be taken seriously and with caution. This is because the wrong product can make or break your finished product. If you want to purchase the best copper spray paint; you should first consider where you are going to use it. The following is a list of things to consider before you make your choice of purchase:
Interior or Exterior Spray Paint
Location is very important. You have to consider the durability of the item to avoid the problem of wearing off or flaking. This assessment is based more on the general wear-and-tear that the item will go through each day. For example, a super spray paint that is durable will be a perfect choice for an outside patio. This is because the paint will be able to withstand outdoor elements and the regular use of the patio.
Types of Finish
The next step is to consider the type of finish you would want to create. For example, if you want a shinier finish, a metallic copper finish would work. A spray paint with less luster will be suitable for Matte or a hammered finish. However, the best copper spray paint is one that gives you more durability and a beautiful finished look.
Primer or No Primer
A primer combo is perfect for slippery surfaces, metal or wood. The advantage of buying paint with a primer is that you do not need to sand or prepare your projects for painting. A primer is a good choice that you can use on items that you tend to use more often. The primer will enable the paint to stick very well to the surfaces and stay for a long time. A non-primer combo is suitable for unfinished items. For example, if you want repaint some of your picture frames.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it Possible for Paint to Stick to Copper?
Paint can stick to copper, but it does not last for a very long time. It is advisable to refrain from painting copper. This is because paint may create the problem of moisture, thus causing the copper to corrode.
Which Brand is the best, Krylon or Rust-Oleum?
Every brand has its own advantages over the other. For example, Rust-Oleum is more superior compared to Krylon because it is durable. Krylon is better because it dries faster.
Why is Rust-Oleum preferred by most Craftsmen and Artists?
Rust-Oleum is top-rated by most customers because it offers at least six benefits. These are durability, adhesion, sheerness, easy to use, style and the best value for money.
How do you Paint Metal to look like Copper?
You should first coat the metal with at least one coat of primer. Leave it to dry. After it has completely dried, you can apply the second coat of the primer. When the primer has dried, add just one coat of Metal Effects copper paint. After it has completely dried, you can add a second coat.
Does Copper Spray Paint really Work?
Copper spray painting is considered as amazing by most craft and art people who love painting. This is because copper spray paint can work on a lot of things without much hassle. At times only one layer of the paint is able to do the job. When you use copper spray paint, objects turn from dull to decadent, boring to brilliant and so on.