This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you.
Being a professional artist involves more than just creating exceptional artwork by expressing your skills and imagination, it has now evolved into a proper business of buying and selling artwork. Therefore, if you want to be profitable selling art pieces, you need to have some business skills. The most valued addition to your business, as an artist, is the Certificate of Authenticity (COA). How are you going to create your own certificate of authenticity for an artwork? In this article, we will be guiding you through the whole process with a downloadable template that you can use to customize your very own certificate of authenticity for artists.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is a Certificate of Authenticity for Artists?
- 2 How to Produce a Certificate of Authenticity for an Artwork
- 3 Creating an Artist Brand
- 4 Tips for Creating the Best Certificate of Authenticity
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Certificate of Authenticity for Artists?
The art world today is still not in a possession of a universal, centralized database, that will have the ability to digitize your certificate. So, you need to generate a genuine Certificate of Authenticity. This provides the art buyer with the necessary information that the artwork they are about to purchase has value.
This is a key factor when someone is going to spend a lot of money buying an art piece, as it shows the potential art collector that you are serious about your art and that you believe your artwork is valuable and will be a sound investment.
When you go out to purchase any type of product, you need to have some form of guarantee that the product you are about to buy has a certain standard or level of quality and that the brand label is authentic. The same principle applies to any type of artwork being sold when it is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity for artists.
So, what is a certificate of authenticity for artists? A certificate of authenticity for an artwork is an official document that you can create which will accompany your art piece when you want to sell it. It will provide proof of authenticity to the prospective buyer that the artwork is undeniably your creation, and is well worth investing in. Furthermore, the certificate of authenticity for artists should always be part of every piece of artwork they create, whether it is going to be sold or not.
The certificate of authenticity for an artwork should contain technical details of your art piece. If the certificate is for prints, it should also include the artist’s involvement. For example, when was the print created, the number of prints made by the master, and the process used in creating the print. The certificate should also state if the print is a limited edition, whether the master has been destroyed, and any other information that will be able to assist the prospective buyer in making an informed decision about your art piece.
It is essential that you only complete a certificate of authenticity if you are a professional artist, which helps distinguish your work from that of an amateur artist. On the legal side, it makes it clear that the art piece is indisputably your work and protects you from copyright infringements and fraud.
You also need to ensure that you, the artist, sign the document, proving it is of high quality, and authentically your work.
Are Certificates of Authenticity for Art Important?
The certificate of authenticity for art is very important, as it can prove that you created the art piece. This also determines the origin or source of the artwork as well as its comparative value if you intend to sell it at any time. The certificate is also able to act as a receipt for the buyer, ensuring a smooth and successful sale, especially when you want to sell it at an auction or to an art gallery.
This is regarded as an acceptable way to verify your own artwork.
Today, forgery is very prevalent and stark reality. The certificate of authenticity document is important, as it can prevent counterfeiting and reduce the risk of someone else selling your artwork, which has cost you money, time, and effort. Over time, as your talent progresses, the certificate can increase the value of your artwork, as it can track the origin and source of your work.
In many parts of the world, a certificate of authenticity is a legal requirement. Therefore, if you are serious about the success of your art career, then you must create an approved archive of all of your artwork and create your own certificate of authenticity for artists.
You need to do this for every piece of artwork you produce so that it can accompany the sale of each piece.
How to Produce a Certificate of Authenticity for an Artwork
The artist must create the certificate and needs to ensure that it is a high-quality document, which should have a professional look. For example, include embossed logos, foiled designs, golden wafers, or even a photo of yourself. Also, ensure you print on excellent-quality paper. The document size is immaterial, but the information needs to be clear and straightforward.
However, you need to ensure that all vital information is included to make the certificate valid. Internet templates for certificates are a great way to go, as all the vital information is already there and all you need to do is fill it in and sign it. The template.net website is a great choice, as it has many different templates for you to choose from, allowing you to customize your certificate to suit your style of artwork.
There are also many other websites available that offer the same service. The use of a template is a good start for your authenticity certificate, but you can easily create it from scratch yourself, just remember to include all the necessary information.
A good tip to remember when creating your certificate is the leave your statement of authenticity as well as your name. This will help as you do not have to rewrite the same information over again each time you complete a new certificate for a new artwork piece, saving you loads of time. You can also choose a website like Artwork Archive to complete your certificate online. This site helps you manage your art inventory. After you sign up and log in, you can follow what to do.
- Under the subheading “Pieces” select the particular art piece you need for creating your certificate.
- Next, click on “Reports” follow the drop-down menu, and select the sub-title “Certificate of Authenticity”.
- You can supply all the details, which include images, price, text, logo, and any other information required.
- Remember, that important information will automatically be included such as dimensions, medium, and title.
- When you are satisfied with the final details all you need to do is click “Generate” and your certificate will be ready to download, print sign and date, and use with your artwork piece.
What Information Is Required for a Certificate of Authenticity for Art?
If you want a certificate that is of good quality and adds value to your art piece, you need to make sure that you include all the information so that your certificate is valid and legally binding. This will also help in identifying the art piece and allow it to be tracked to its origin or source, and provide the history of ownership. The following list is the information that needs to be included in your authenticity certificate:
- The artist’s name must be displayed on the certificate.
- You must include the title of the art piece on the certificate.
- The year the artwork was completed must also be added to the certificate.
- Dimensions or size of the artwork must be included.
- The medium used, for example, paint or ink, also canvas or paper for prints, and any other information that may help for identification in the future.
- A photo of the artwork helps in identifying the authenticity of the artwork in the event of the artwork being separated from the certificate.
- Special instructions, for example, information on how to care for the art piece.
- Many artists include information like the location where the art piece was completed.
- You can also include a tracking number or code that is specific to that art piece.
- Contact information as well as any online portfolio you might have.
- A signature and date are important to include on the certificate.
- A rubber stamp with the artist’s logo or name.
- For prints, it should include if it is a limited edition, the number of prints made and if the master has been destroyed.
- Include a statement of authenticity, this should be a short statement that is written by the artist that states the artwork’s authenticity, value, and validity of the artwork for copyright purposes.
Creating an Artist Brand
To become a professional artist, you need to create your brand, which will be displayed on the authenticity certificate. Both of these help to show people that you are reliable and professional. The artist’s brand is not merely a signature, a logo, or a label, it is more than that, it is a very powerful tool for use in your marketing strategy. Your brand is what you will be known for, something that you do better than your competitors. Branding should be unique to yourself and is something that connects with potential buyers, it is much more than just a logo.
You need to create a brand that is effective and can define the type of customer you are looking for; your brand needs to be a simple phrase, and you also need to promote your brand as much as possible.
- Take time to define what the best thing is that you do and what you are good at, you might want to focus on a certain style or type of art.
- Describe your unique abilities and compare them with other artists’ statements or brands and try to be different.
- Try to stay with one unique font type, which will eventually become the symbol everybody knows you for. Or come up with a logo or other symbol unique to you as an artist.
- Use your brand on everything you create, even on your emails, posters, or flyers, and of course your certificate of authenticity.
Tips for Creating the Best Certificate of Authenticity
The certificate of authenticity for artists serves as an extension of all your artwork. Therefore, in the marketplace, your certificate needs to have a professional look to it, so that it will attract any potential buyers out there.
- Ensure you use only the best high-quality printer paper, and only make use of the template that complements the aesthetic and style of your artwork, as well as your brand.
- It is a good idea to have a sticker on the back of your art piece that includes all the main details of the piece, this will allow your art piece to be properly identified even if it is not accompanied by your certificate, but it should not replace the original certificate.
- In most cases, the certificate is made by the artist. However, artists can also have a publisher, an art dealer, or an agent, then the details of their relationship and contact details must be included on the certificate.
When all the work is completed with your certificate, it is time to build your online portfolio. This can be done by using a website builder that has a built-in online store, which will allow you to sell your artwork pieces directly from the website. Look out for a blogging tool as well as Instagram integration that will allow you to keep all your potential clients informed of the adventures of your art.
A certificate of authenticity for artists is there to give some protection to the buyer if they are spending a lot of money, ensuring that the artwork piece is authentic and was created by the artist personally. A certificate can also provide some form of protection for the artist to prevent illegal copying of the art piece, so as a professional, it is important to have one.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Certificate of Authenticity?
A certificate of authenticity for an artwork is important and potential buyers can request to see it as proof of authenticity. The certificate contains information that proves it is genuine and that you are the artist, and it also helps the artist to keep track of all finished artwork pieces.
Should Artists Have a Certificate of Authenticity?
No rule states that an artist must have a certificate of authenticity, but it is important as it provides legitimacy and value to the artist’s workpieces, and could play an important role in sales, especially to seasoned art buyers.
Can an Artist Create a Certificate of Authenticity Themselves?
The artist can start from the beginning and create their own certificate, but they need to ensure that it includes all the necessary information. However, there are numerous certificate templates on the internet that are easy and free to download, and they also include all the necessary information.
In 2005, Charlene completed her wellness degrees in therapeutic aromatherapy and reflexology at the International School of Reflexology and Meridian Therapy. She worked for a company offering corporate wellness programs for several years before opening her own therapy practice. In 2015, she was asked by a digital marketer friend to join her company as a content creator, and it was here that she discovered her enthusiasm for writing. Since entering the world of content creation, she has gained a lot of experience over the years writing about various topics such as beauty, health, wellness, travel, crafting, and much more. Due to various circumstances, she had to give up her therapy practice and now works as a freelance writer. Since she is a very creative person and as a balance to writing likes to be active in various areas of art and crafts, the activity at acrylgiessen.com is perfect for her to contribute their knowledge and experience in various creative topics.